Friday, August 17, 2012

And then, there was a hat!

The Scarlet Witch Steampunk ensemble work continues, and I have finally gotten around to constructing the hat.  If you pay a visit to my friend's blog, Ribbons and Riesling, you'll see how a hat is actually built from the ground up.  I am a cheater pants, though.

I cheat at Monopoly, cards, and sewing whenever possible, so to make this hat, I started with a hat - A cheap black costume top hat, and I just started covering it with fabric.  Step one was sewing a cylinder to cover the hat.

I hand stitched the fabric close and tight as I could around the hat, but it wasn't tight enough...so then the serious cheating began.  I plugged in the hot glue gun.

While it was heating up, I pleated a length of the fabric to use to cover the brim.

Then I hot glued it to the inside of the hat.

So, then it looked like a hat with a fashionable skirt attached.

Then I folded over the hat skirt and glued it down to cover the brim.  It made a little pleated-like effect with which I was fairly pleased.

The I stitched up a hat band out of the same fabric, and glued it down (a section at a time) all the way around the hat - pulling it tight and pinning it after each section.  When the glue set up, I took out the pins and started work on the embellishments.

This is a picture of Marvel's Scarlet Witch.  As you can see, the headpiece frames the face and it pointed at the tops over the eyes.  My task was to translate this to a Victorian-esque hat that will echo that shape.  Red top hat...so what has two points at the tops and is hopelessly Victorian?  Big freaking Ribbon bows!
Not quite as pointy as I wanted, but I can work with this.  I wired the ribbon myself, so I could shape it easily.

I had to have some veiling, too.  Because I like flounce and fluff.  That's Hansel, my wig-head in the picture.  Hansel?  Hansel?

Once the bows were shaped a bit better and pinned, I think it gives the effect I need to resemble the shape of Scarlet Witch's headpiece.
And because I can, here's an early illustration of Scarlet Witch.  Her mask completely frames her face, but I didn't want to use that look as it reminded me too much of...

...this.















No comments:

Post a Comment